Saturday, July 2, 2011

Mischief Managed



A few days ago, Matt bought two tickets for the midnight premiere of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 on July 15th. I can't believe the end is almost near. 

This sounds so silly, but Harry Potter has been such a big part of my entire life (I'm sure I'm not alone on this). Its actually pretty funny how Harry Potter came into my life. My grandma sent me the first book and I kind of tossed it aside, uninterested, but one day when it was raining I decided to pick it up and fell in love with the first book series I would ever follow. I went through the first book in about two hours and begged my mom to take me to the book store and get the second (the only other one out at that time), but she decided to extort my new found love of the Wizarding World and bribe me. She told me I had to pass a spelling test before I got the second book. At this point in my life, I had trouble with b's and d's and I failed that test. And the next one. So I just read the first one seven more times in a week and finally my mom broke down got me the second. From then on, there was no hope for her any more. 


I was full blow obsessed. 

Most people have an important event in their life where they remember exactly where they were when they heard the news. My event was when I heard a Harry Potter movie was coming out. However, no one I knew had really heard of it or was into it so I was the only one I knew who was excited. However, the movie looked good so everyone went to see it. I saw the midnight premiere and the 3 AM premiere. In the same night. I was that dedicated. 

From then on I went to every midnight premiere (movie and book), except for the midnight premiere of the sixth movie because I was at sleep away camp. Believe me, this broke my heart. 


And much to my excitement, after the movie, the series blew up in my small town! Our Wal-Mart got every Harry Potter toy you could ever imagine. Conveniently in time for Christmas. And I got it all.
I had the Potions Making Kit, Wizard Chess, Hedwig stationary and journal with the Harry Potter gel pens, Trivia game, Hedwig pillow, mini owls, Mrs. Norris and Hedwig stuffed toys, etc. etc. Believe me y'all, I think my family bought out the Harry Potter section of Wal-Mart. 



Obviously, in my old age I no longer pine for every toy Wal-Mart puts out (even though I still have an obsession with owls, really, ask anyone), but the books and movies have still been a huge part of my life.  Since the first time I picked up the Sorcerer's Stone, I've read the book series over 20 times (still doubting my obsession?) and am glad I can read them over and over, but still a bit heart broken that Harry, Ron and Hermione's adventures are over for us. 




So thank you, J.K. Rowling, for my childhood. 



1 comment:

  1. There is a good chance that I watched Harry Potter 1-4 on my way home from the beach today! I can't wait for the final part!

    ReplyDelete